Para Surfing Classifier Training Course
The International Surfing Association is pleased to announce an official Para Surfing Classifier Training Course for both National and International Classifiers is scheduled for 6-10 March 2020 prior to the 2020 AmpSurf ISA World Para Surfing Championship in San Diego, CA.
Persons interested in becoming a classifier, must:
- Be a medical healthcare professional, such as an occupational therapist, physical therapist, or physician,
- Have extensive knowledge and experience with working with people who have neurological diagnoses such as spinal cord injuries, brain injuries, cerebral vascular accidents, multiple sclerosis, and cerebral palsy. In addition, the interested person must have experience with working with people with congenital limb deficiencies and amputations,
- Speak English, at least at a minimal level,
- NOT be connected to a national team (such as the therapist for the team) or be directly connected to a current competitive athlete (private therapist) as these relationships pose a direct conflict of interest, and
- Be a surfer or very familiar with the sport of surfing.
If a person is interested and meets ALL five requirements listed above, then the interested person must submit the following three items to email@example.com
- Professional License
- Curriculum Vitae (Resume)
- Certification of Completion of the “IPC Introduction to Para Sport Online Learning Programme”. This online training course can be found at: https://www.ipc-academy.org
Cost and Schedule:
Cost: $300 USD (includes training, manual, and snacks/lunch during the course)
Schedule: Each day the training starts will run from 0900 until 1800. Individuals must be National Classifiers before becoming International Classifiers.
National Classifier Training (held 6-8 March 2020) consists of theory, IPC education on classification and the ISA Para Surfing Sport Classes. There is an open book written exam to pass this section.
International Classifier Training (held 9-10 March 2020) consists of practical training with mock Athletes and actual Athletes. Your physical skills, decision-making, and your communication in English with the Athletes are assessed in the practical exam.
Certificate of Classifier Training Completion will be awarded to each person that passes the course.
Please contact ISA Head of Para Surfing Classification Dr. Mo Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.