Title: Membership and Events Coordinator
Classification: Full-Time, entry-level
Reports to: Membership and Development Manager, Manager of Event Operations
Start Date: TBD (February 2020)
Hours: 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday-Thursday, 8:00am to 2:00pm Friday, plus additional time ISA Championships as required
Location: ISA office in La Jolla, California
Compensation: Compensation commensurate with experience
About the ISA
The ISA is a non-profit organization recognized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) as the World Governing Authority for the sport of Surfing. The fundamental mission of the ISA is to create a better world through Surfing by promoting, developing, and leading Surfing in all its forms through the ISA’s 108 National Surfing Federations worldwide.
Membership and Development Department
The ISA Membership and Development Department consists of collaboration with 108 National Surfing Federations (NF) across 5 continents to develop the sport. The ISA Development Programs include the ISA Coaching and Instructing Program, ISA Judging and Officiating Program, and the ISA/ILS Water Safety Program. The ISA Coaching and Instructing Program certifies surf coaches and instructors at the international standard of safety, quality, and efficacy and includes over 9,000 certified coaches across 75 countries. The ISA Judging and Officiating Program is the world’s leading educational program for accrediting surf judges and officials and the ISA/ILS Water Safety Program is a global standard water safety course and certification for instructors.
The ISA Events Department is responsible for ensuring the successful delivery of the following ISA World Championships: ISA World Surfing Games, ISA World Junior Surfing Championship, ISA World Stand Up Paddle (SUP) and Paddleboard Championship, ISA World Adaptive (Para) Surfing Championship, ISA World Longboard Surfing Championship, ISA World Masters Surfing Championship, ISA World Bodyboard Championship.
- Integrity: Commitment to fairness, accountability and the highest standards of excellence.
- Passion: For the water, the waves, our common humanity and the continual search for the perfect ride.
- Innovation: At the leading edge of human expression, creativity and sporting performance.
- Respect: For each other, for surfing’s history and for the environment in which we play and perform.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills with a strong attention to detail
- Interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated, problem solver, able to work independently
- A passion for surfing, understanding the surf industry and the culture of surfing
- U.S. work visa required
- Surf Coaching and Instructing experience (Plus)
- Additional language skills (Spanish or French) (Plus)
- Coordination and support of the ISA Membership and Development Department and its programs by organizing and improving key administrative processes, development programs, and contributing to the department’s overall growth.
- Support the Manager of Event Operations with preparations and production of ISA World Championship Events. Tasks shall include a variety of event operation related responsibilities.
- Support for various administrative tasks and projects as requested by ISA Team.
Position will be split between Membership and Development department (70%) and Events Department (30%), subject to change in accordance with events schedule.
Membership and Development Programs Responsibilities (included but not limited to):
- Program Management
- Scheduling and reporting of ISA Development Programs
- Improvement of Development Programs administration
- Business Development and Sales of ISA Development Programs with goals to:
- Increase overall number of participating coaches, presenters, organizers, territories, and surf schools
- Increase overall income and success of programs
- Administrative Organization
- Coordination of ISA Coaching and Judging Database
- Streamlining efficiency of ISA Educational Programs Certification process
- Website Administration
- Updating of the online course calendar
- Management of ISA Coach & Judge online directory
- Management of Course Presenter profiles
- Maintaining up-to-date Development pages on the ISA Website
- Marketing and Communications
- Newsletters to ISA Coaches and Judges
- Marketing and promotion of ISA Educational Programs and Development initiatives
- Customer Service
- Consistent interaction with ISA Coaches, Judges, and Educational Programs partners
- Problem solver and able to show flexibility with different countries and situations
Event Duties and Responsibilities (included but not limited to):
- Follow Event Timelines
- Coordination of meetings and taking minutes
- Traffic and revise documentation and deliverables
- Management of event archives and storage
- Preparation and organization of informational materials
- Preparation of presentation materials
- Preparation of post-event reports and recaps
- Coordination of Event Equipment:
- Preparation of event checklists
- Planning of equipment supplies and staff uniforms.
- Assisting Event Officials with requisitioning any equipment or supplies needed before the event.
- Assisting staff with event travel arrangements
- Preparing ground transportation for staff and athletes
- Coordinating alimentation plans
- Liaising with Event Host to secure and arrange hotel reservations.
- Assisting as needed with Official Ceremonies including Opening Ceremonies, Parties, Closing Ceremonies and Awards.