The ISA is pleased to announce the launch of a global standard Adaptive Surf Instructor Certification Program.
Recognized by the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) as the International Federation for Para Surfing, also known as Adaptive Surfing, the ISA has taken an active role in the worldwide development, promotion and structure of the sport. This program is part of the ISA’s ongoing effort to create a global platform for universal access to the sport and enable Para Surfers to achieve sporting excellence and inspire others. While the competitive element of Para Surfing is a rapidly growing aspect of the sport, the Adaptive Surf Instructor Program focuses on broader inclusion and grassroots development.
In partnership with AmpSurf, Surfability UK, and members of the global Adaptive Surfing community and supported by the Foundation for Global Sports Development, the ISA has developed this International Adaptive Surf Instructor Certification Program. This program is complementary to the ISA Coaching and Instructing Program and accessible for surf instructors, surf schools, and Adaptive Surfing organizations worldwide.
The ISA Adaptive Surf Instructor Certification Course will ensure that those who are engaged in Adaptive Surf Instruction and Therapy will be adequately trained and have the necessary knowledge and skillset to improve the skills of the Adaptive Surfers that they are instructing. This will enable surf schools to employ certified adaptive surf instructors and offer surf lessons to surfers with physical, mental, cognitive, and behavioral health disabilities. This will also enable organizations that run Adaptive Surfing programs and therapy to train their staff and volunteers. Overall, this course will contribute to a safer environment for Adaptive Surfing instruction and therapy worldwide.
Please find more information via the following links:
Adaptive Surf Course Presenter Requirements (coming soon)
- Wales – late January presented by Ben Clifford email@example.com
- Cornwall, England – late February presented by Ben Clifford firstname.lastname@example.org
- For USA-based instructors only: February 3-5 from 4-7pm PST online, followed by core-competency practical days with US-based AmpSurf Chapters (California, New England, New York and the Pacific Northwest)
- Scotland – late March presented by Ben Clifford email@example.com
- Sayulita, Mexico – March 2021, TBC
- Italy – April/May in collaboration with FISW, TBC, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Virtual Course in English for those with previous adaptive surfing experience – April/May
- Virtual Course in Spanish for those with previous adaptive surfing experience – May/June
Interested in Organizing or Attending an ISA Adaptive Surf Instructor Course?
Highlights from First-Ever ISA Adaptive Surf Instructor Course December 7-11, 2020 for 32 participants from 14 countries
Please contact ISA Membership and Development Manager email@example.com with any additional questions about the program.
Military Veterans are eligible for course scholarships via: