2019 VISSLA ISA World Junior Surfing Championship
Huntington Beach, California
October 26 – November 3
*Event Schedule can be subject to change by the ISA
- July 26
- Registration opens
- September 26
- Registration price increase to $300
- Deadline for Anti Doping TUE Application Submission (see more under “Anti Doping” Here)
- Oct 15
- Final deadline for ALL payment and registration forms to be submitted. Any athlete not yet registered by that time will not be considered for the competition, regardless of if their travel and accommodation have already been coordinated. As the National Federation, it is your responsibility to coordinate with your team and make sure all deadlines are respected.
- Oct 23 – Oct 24:
- Team Arrival and On-Site Check-In
- Oct 25:
- Team Arrival and On-Site Check-in – All teams must be checked in by 3pm
- Manager’s Meeting
- Oct 26
- Parade of Nations and Open Ceremony
- Potential start to Competition
- Oct 27 – Sun, Nov 3:
- 3 U18 Boys
- 3 U18 Girls
- 3 U16 Boys
- 3 U16 Girls
- Alternates, Team Officials and Team Supporters – No limit
AGE DIVISION CUT OFF
An athlete’s age is taken as of December 31, 2019. Therefore, an U18 surfer may not turn 19 on/before December 31, 2019. An U16 competitor may not turn 17 on/before December 31, 2019.
Registration will open on July 26. Please check back at that time.
In the meantime, if you are an athlete interested in competing and have not been in touch with your National Federation, we suggest you contact them to inquire about the qualification process as all National Teams must be selected by their National Federation. The contact for each National Federation can be found on the ISA Membership Directory.
All National Teams must be nominated by their National Surfing Federation in order to be eligible to compete.
REGISTRATION PRICE SCHEDULE
- USD $250 per entry: July 26 – September 25
- USD $300 per entry: September 26 – October 15
Items to note:
- An athlete competing in more than one division requires a registration payment per division.
- Alternates must be identified and paid for prior to close of registration (October 15) to be eligible for participation in the contest.
- The ISA’s policy is to collect registration fees for all those officially associated with each team, as well as those who desire to obtain any of the registration benefits. This includes all coaches, medical staff, translators, media, family members and friends who want VIP credentials.
The benefits of registration include:
- Access to Official ISA Pre and Post Event Communications
- Invitations to Official Event Functions
- Participation in the Parade of Nations and Official Opening Ceremony
- Official Event T-Shirt
- Official gift bag with Rulebook, Event Program, Sticker, Poster, etc.
- Access to Team Tents at Contest Venue
- Water at Contest Venue
A nation will not be allowed to compete if it has any outstanding dues payable to the ISA. Contact ISA Finance and Administration Manager, Claudia Alvarez, at firstname.lastname@example.org to verify outstanding account balances.
The Pasea Hotel & Spa is generous to offer discounted accommodation to National Teams in attendance
- Rate: $189/night
- CLICK HERE to check availability and book
- If you prefer to book over the phone, call +1 (866) 478-9702, extension “1” for reservations, then extension “1” for wedding and event reservations
Please note, each National Team is independently responsible for booking their own accommodation/transportation. The ISA is not responsible.
The ISA will ONLY accept a valid passport from the country the athlete is representing as proof of nationality for participation in World Championship events. The only exception is for National Identification cards issued by the National Government of the team country that clearly shows “Nationality or Citizenship.” Note: Such a card showing place of birth but not Nationality or Citizenship of the athlete will not be accepted, as place of birth does not provide automatic citizenship in many countries.
The ISA will not accept any other form of government documentation supporting a passport or eligibility of passport to verify nationality. This policy has been updated in the ISA rulebook.
Once a competitor has surfed for a country in any ISA event, he/she generally may not surf for another country at future ISA sanctioned International Events. If an athlete is allowed to represent a second nation based on the conditions set forth in Paragraph b of By-Laws to rule. To read more in the ISA Rulebook, CLICK HERE
Passports & Visas
Please check with your travel agent or your Foreign Affairs Department for requirements.
Please contact your Foreign affairs department for further information.
The ISA strongly recommends that each team procures travel insurance (including, but not limited to accident, liability and medical) for all of their participants.
Drug Testing will follow the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) guidelines and will be conducted on or around the final day of competition. Finalists plus three (3) random tests will be conducted.
If an athlete is required to take medication to treat an illness or condition which happens to fall under the Prohibited List, a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) may give that athlete the authorization to take the needed medicine. Please contact the ISA to submit all TUEs at least 30 days prior to the start of the competition.
For more information on the ISA’s Anti-Doping Policy, and to view WADA’s 2018 List of Prohibited Substances, please click here: https://www.isasurf.org/development-programs/anti-doping/
The media exposure this contest can provide you, your National Federation and your athletes is absolutely priceless. Please submit a list of key media contacts in your region to the ISA so that they may receive ISA press releases. We also ask that you forward local media coverage before and after the event to the ISA so we may use it to promote surfing worldwide. Please contact Evan Quarnstrom at email@example.com.
The VISSLA ISA World Junior Surfing Championship is currently looking for volunteers that will play a crucial role in the event’s success.
Find out how you can be a part of this unique World Championship here: https://www.usasurfing.org/volunteer.html