2017 Stance ISA World Adaptive Surfing Championship
November 29 – December 3, 2017
La Jolla, California, USA
Visit the site of the 2016 Stance ISA World Adaptive Surfing Championship here.
*Event Schedule can be subject to change by the ISA
- Monday, November 27
- On-Site Registration: 9am-3pm (ISA Office)
- Tuesday, November 28:
- On-Site Registration: 9am-3pm (ISA Office)
- Adaptive Surfing Symposium and Welcome: 4pm-8pm (Location TBD)
- Wednesday, November 29:
- Manager’s Meeting: 8am-10am (Location TBD)
- Adaptive Surfing Clinic Experience (La Jolla Shores)
- Parade of Nations and Opening Ceremony at La Jolla Shores
- Thursday, November 30
- Competition Begins
- Sunday, December 3
- Finals and Closing Ceremony
- ISA Aloha Party
Each National Federation will be allowed to field a team of up to eight athletes in the following six Open Division Sport Classes listed below and described in detail HERE
- 2 athletes – AS-1: Surfers who ride waves in a standing or kneeling position
- These two athletes for the AS-1 Sport Class includes both the AS-1UL + AS-1LL sub-classes which will compete together
- 2 athletes – AS-2: Surfers who ride waves in a standing or kneeling position
- 1 athlete – AS-3: Surfers who ride waves in a seated position
- 1 athlete – AS-4: Surfers who ride waves in a prone position
- 1 athlete – AS-5: Surfers who ride waves in a non-standing position and need assistance to paddle into waves and while in the water
- 1 athlete – AS-VI: Surfers who have a visual impairment
- The AS-VI Sport Class includes the AS-VIB1, AS-VIB2, and AS-VIB3 sub-classes which will compete together
*If a team does not have an athlete to compete in a specific division, that team will lose scoring potential (For example: If a team does not have an AS-4 athlete, the maximum team size will be 7).
*Please note: it is not a requirement to have a full team. Each National Team can be comprised of as little as 1 athlete. However, for maximized scoring potential it is recommended to field the full 8 athletes.
In addition to the Open Division, each National Federation will be allowed to field athletes for the newly added Female Divisions. Each Female Division Sport Class with a minimum of three Adaptive Surfing Females from different countries will be run. If your National Federation has not done so already, you must email the ISA to confirm the Female Adaptive Surfers from your National Team immediately.
- Contact your National Federation: each National Surfing Federation has a unique qualification process. You will need to contact them to inquire about team selection. If you need assistance finding their contact information, please visit our Membership Directory HERE
- Team Roster: Your team manager will then send your National Team’s roster to ISA Associate Membership and Development Manager Alex Reynolds email@example.com. Please include names, divisions, and emails of all athletes and officials.
- Registration Paperwork: All athletes and team officials and must complete the *REQUIRED* Registration Paperwork through the following link: http://www.isasurf.org/2017-wasc-event-registration-form/
- Classification Confirmation: Once paperwork is submitted, all athletes competing in the 2017 Stance ISA World Adaptive Surfing Championship will have their classification assessed by the ISA Adaptive Surfing Classification Review Committee. Once your athlete’s classifications have been confirmed you will receive a confirmation email
- Registration Payment: Registration Payment will be available beginning the week of October 23, 2017. Payment is only possible once your classification information has been confirmed by the ISA. The event registration includes one support personnel per athlete registration.
- On-Site Check-In Appointment: On-site check-in will take place on Monday November 27 and Tuesday November 28. Each National Team is required to book a 30-min appointment with the ISA during this time frame. Once the Team Roster, Classifications, and Registration Payment have been received, your team manager can set up your on-site check-in appointment.
- Share your journey with us on social media! Be sure to tag the ISA (@isasurfing) in your pictures and #ISAworlds
CLICK HERE to view the ISA Adaptive Surfing Classifications
CLICK HERE to view the ISA Adaptive Surfing Rulebook
The ISA will be offering an official training opportunity for those interested in becoming Adaptive Surfing Classifiers, both nationally and internationally. If interested please review the criteria below and submit your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Medical Doctor/Physician, Physical Therapist/Physiotherapist or someone with similar training who is familiar with the care and management of neurological disorders such as ataxia, athetosis, dystonia, and impaired muscle power and the corresponding diagnoses that cause these such as spinal cord injuries, spina bifida, cerebral palsy, etc. and how to evaluate them including but not limited to reflex testing, spasticity testing, and coordination testing. The interested parties should also be familiar with traditional orthopedic examinations of range of motion, manual muscle testing and coordination testing.
Must have a background as a surfer and/or a as a surfing coach and understanding the sport of adaptive surfing and how the various impairments affect athletes’ abilities to catch and ride waves.
More information coming soon
Drug Testing will follow the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) guidelines and will be conducted on or around the final day of competition.
For more information on the ISA’s Anti-Doping Policy, and to view WADA’s 2017 List of Prohibited Substances, please click here: http://www.isasurf.org/development-programs/anti-doping/
La Jolla Shores Hotel (closest hotel to the event site) will be offering the discounted room rate of $159.000 (plus tax), for a double room that can accommodate up to 4 guests.
Individual attendees will make their own reservations directly with Kristina Cacha, the group housing coordinator. Please refer to the ISA World Adaptive Championship when making reservations.
- Kristina Cacha:
- Telephone: (858) 964-1967
- Email: Kcacha@ljbtc.com