2016 ISA World Surfing Games
Jacó, Costa Rica, August 6 – 14
Sanctioned by the International Surfing Association
OFFICIAL EVENT WEBSITE
Click here to access the official event website of the ISA World Surfing Games:
Visit the site for photos, videos, results, news and more.
International Surfing Association (ISA)
5580 La Jolla Blvd #145
La Jolla, California 92037 USA
Tel: (858) 551-8580
Fax: (858) 551-8563
- Registration Open for All Teams (first come, first serve basis)
Wednesday, August 3
- On-Site Team Registration (9am-5pm)
Thursday, August 4
- On-Site Team Registration (9am – 5pm)
Friday, August 5
- On-Site Team Registration closes at 3:00PM sharp!
- Managers’ Meeting
Saturday, August 6
- Parade of Nations and Opening Ceremony
Sunday, August 7
- Competition Begins
Sunday, August 14
- Finals and Closing Ceremony
*Event Schedule can be subject to change by the ISA
Team confirmation, payment, seeded competitor lists and all documentation must be finalized with the ISA by close of registration on Friday, August 5 at 3:00PM to participate in the 2016 ISA World Surfing Games. This event has a LIMIT ON THE NUMBER OF ATHLETES PERMITTED, so the ISA urges teams to finalize and complete your team registration and payment as soon as possible.
AN ATHLETE IS NOT GUARANTEED A SPACE IN THE EVENT WITHOUT REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT.
TEAM SIZE AND AGE DIVISIONS:
· 4 Open Men
· 2 Open Women
· Alternates, Team Officials and Team Supporters – No limit
Steps to complete pre-event registration:
- Team Roster - Create a list of athletes (with divisions listed), team officials, and email addresses and send to ISA Membership Manager, Megan Burns, at email@example.com.
- Required Registration Paperwork - Prior to arrival, all team members must complete the *REQUIRED* Registration Paperwork through the following link: http://www.isasurf.org/athlete_registration/
- Complete Payment – To pay online with a credit card, please see below under the “PAYMENT” tab. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request an invoice for your National Federation or to pay via wire transfer.
- Event Registration Appointment – On-site registration will take place on August 3,4, and 5. Email email@example.com today to set up a registration date and time. Appointments are made on a first-come, first-serve basis with priority going to teams that have completed registration payment.
- Travel & Accommodation Information
- Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) forms. These forms may be submitted via email or fax to the ISA HQ and are requested at least 30 days in advance of the contest. For more information on the ISA Anti-Doping policy, see below in the “GENERAL INFORMATION” tab.
Submit to ISA during on-site Registration:
- Passports – All athletes’ nationality must be confirmed. In the online registration paperwork, you will be asked to upload a copy of your passport. Please also bring your passports with you to on-site registration.
- Sand – 2.5 liters of dry sand from the beaches of your country for the Sands of the World Ceremony. Label the sand container with country and beach name.
- National Flag
- ISA Competitor Stickers and National Flag Stickers – The ISA requires all athletes to place the mandatory ISA Competitor and National Flag stickers on the top 1/3 of their board (front and back) prior to entering the water for their heats. ISA Competitor stickers will be distributed by the Beach Marshalls, and athletes are required to bring their own National Flag stickers to the event.
ATHLETE ATTENDANCE AT REGISTRATION All team athletes must be present at time of registration for personal verification of their identity by ISA officials. It is the Team Manager’s responsibility to ensure athletes are present during registration. Please arrange accordingly, since athletes not present will not be registered and will not be allowed participation in the competition. There shall be no exception to this requirement of physical attendance of competitors during registration of the team.
REGISTRATION FEE SCHEDULE
- USD$225: Early Registration is until July 12 (starting day of announcement).
- USD$250: Late Registration is July 13 – August 2 (starting exactly three weeks before on-site registration)
- USD$300: On-Site Registration is August 3,4, and 5th
The ISA will only accept USD$, or be prepared to pay online in the ISA Store with credit card, during Team Registration and throughout the duration of the contest. Please bring the correct amount. Items to note:
- Registration fees will be charged to each team member, managers, coaches, translators, medical staff, media, supporters and additional parties.
- An athlete competing in more than one discipline is required to pay a Registration Fee for each discipline entered.
- All registrants must complete their online paperwork prior to on-site check-in (August 2): link: http://www.isasurf.org/athlete_registration/
- Alternates must be identified and paid for prior to close of registration to be eligible for participation in the contest.
- Teams must register as a team, and have all the registration requirements collected and ready to hand over before their registration can begin.
The benefits of registration include:
- Access to Official ISA Pre and Post Event Communications
- Invitations to Official Event Functions
- Participation in the Parade of Nations and Official Opening Ceremony
- Official Event T-Shirt
- Official gift bag with Rulebook, Event Program, Sticker, Poster, etc.
- Access to Team Tents at Contest Venue
- Water at Contest Venue
The ISA’s policy is to collect registration fees for all those officially associated with each team, as well as those who desire to obtain any of the registration benefits. This includes all coaches, medical staff, translators, media, family members and friends who want VIP credentials.
Click Here to see the Accommodation Package that has been organized by our Event Hosts.
CLICK HERE to view the Rental Car Package that has been organized by our Event Hosts.
Check back soon for Airport Transportation recommendations.
A nation will not be allowed to compete if it has any outstanding dues payable to the ISA. Contact ISA Finance and Administration Manager, Claudia Alvarez, at firstname.lastname@example.org to verify outstanding account balances.
- For Credit Card payments, pay through the ISA website, www.isasurf.org – “ISA Event Registration Fee”.
- For Onsite payment, the ISA will only accept US Dollars.
- For Wire transfers, please contact the ISA for details.
The ISA will ONLY accept a valid passport from the country the athlete is representing as proof of nationality for participation in World Championship events. The only exception is for National Identification cards issued by the National Government of the team country that clearly shows “Nationality or Citizenship.” Note: Such a card showing place of birth but not Nationality or Citizenship of the athlete will not be accepted, as place of birth does not provide automatic citizenship in many countries.
The ISA will not accept any other form of government documentation supporting a passport or eligibility of passport to verify nationality. This policy has been updated in the ISA rulebook.
Once a competitor has surfed for a country in any ISA event, he/she generally may not surf for another country at future ISA sanctioned International Events. If an athlete is allowed to represent a second nation based on the conditions set forth in Paragraph b of By-Laws to rule outlined below, he/she may not change back to representing his/her original country. Special exemptions may be considered, however, after presentation to the Executive Committee at least three (3) months prior to the start of any ISA sanctioned event. Requests for exemption will only be considered if received in writing through the affiliated NGB to the Executive Committee via the ISA office, with certified copies of all relevant documentation (passport, letters from/to National Sports Organizations or Home Affairs Offices, etc) accompanying the representation. *Please see the ISA rulebook for By-Laws.
Passports & Visas
Please check with your travel agent or your Foreign Affairs Department for requirements.
Please contact your Foreign affairs department for further information.
The ISA strongly recommends that each team procures travel insurance (including, but not limited to accident, liability and medical) for all of their participants.
Drug Testing will follow the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) guidelines and will be conducted on or around the final day of competition. All finalists plus three (3) random tests will be conducted. To check on the updated list of banned substances, go to the WADA website www.wada-ama.org.
If an athlete is required to take medication to treat an illness or condition which happens to fall under the Prohibited List, a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) may give that athlete the authorization to take the needed medicine. Please contact the ISA to submit all TUEs at least 30 days prior to the start of the competition.
More Information Coming Soon!
The media exposure this contest can provide you, your NGB and your athletes is absolutely priceless. Please submit a list of key media contacts in your region to the ISA so that they may receive ISA press releases. We also ask that you forward local media coverage before and after the event to the ISA so we may use it to promote surfing worldwide. Please contact Evan Quarnstrom at email@example.com.