2015 ISA World Surfing Games
May 31 – June 7
The ISA World Surfing Games (WSG) is an ISA World Championship that brings together surfers from all over the world to compete in Team, Open, and Women divisions. As of 2013, the WSG’s Longboard division will become its own ISA World Championship, the ISA World Longboard Championship, which will play host to some of the world’s best longboarders. Moving forward, the ISA World Surfing Games will continue to host some of the world’s best men and women shortboard surfers, as well as serve as the qualifier for the ISA China Cup invitational.
Sanctioned by the International Surfing Association
International Surfing Association (ISA)
5580 La Jolla Blvd #145
La Jolla, California 92037 USA
Tel: (858) 551-8580
Fax: (858) 551-8563
- Registration Open for All Teams (first come, first serve basis)
Friday, May 29
- Team Arrivals and Registration
- Press Conference
Saturday, May 30
- Team Arrivals and Registration closes at 3:00PM sharp!
- Managers’ Meeting
Sunday, May 31
- Parade of Nations and Opening Ceremony
Monday, June 1
- Competition Begins
Sunday, June 7
- Finals and Closing Ceremony
*Event Schedule can be subject to change by the ISA
Team confirmation, payment, seeded competitor lists and all documentation must be finalized with the ISA by close of registration on Saturday, May 30 at 3:00PM to participate in the 2015 ISA World Surfing Games. This event has a LIMIT ON THE NUMBER OF ATHLETES PERMITTED, so the ISA urges teams to finalize and complete your team registration and payment as soon as possible.
AN ATHLETE IS NOT GUARANTEED A SPACE IN THE EVENT WITHOUT REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT.
TEAM SIZE AND AGE DIVISIONS:
· 4 Open Men
· 2 Open Women
· Alternates, Team Officials and Team Supporters – No limit
REGISTRATION FEE SCHEDULE
- Teams will pay USD$225 per registrant if fees are received prior to 10 business days before on-site registration.
- Teams will pay USD$250 per registrant if fees are received less than 10 business days prior to the event.
- Teams will pay USD$300 per registrant if fees are received onsite at event.
The ISA will only accept USD$, or online payments through the ISA Store with credit card, during Team Registration and throughout the duration of the contest. Please bring the correct amount.
Items to note:
- Registration fees will be charged to each team member, managers, coaches, translators, medical staff, media, supporters and additional parties.
- All registrants must sign an Indemnity Form and Code of Conduct provided by the ISA.
- A surfer competing in more than one division is required to pay a Registration Fee for each division entered.
- Alternates must be identified and paid for prior to close of registration to be eligible for participation in the contest.
- Teams must register as a team, and have all the registration requirements collected and ready to hand over before their registration can begin.
The benefits of registration include:
- Access to Official ISA Pre and Post Event Communications
- Invitations to Official Event Functions
- Official transportation as described below
- Lodging to/from Official Events and Meetings
- Lodging to/from Contest Venue
- Participation in the Parade of Nations and Official Opening Ceremony
- Access to Team discounted rates for lodging, and food and airfare, if negotiated by the host organizer
- Official Event T-Shirt
- Official gift bag with Rulebook, Event Program, Sticker, Poster, etc.
- Access to Team Tents at Contest Venue
- Water at Contest Venue
The ISA’s policy is to collect registration fees for all those officially associated with each team, as well as those who desire to obtain any of the registration benefits. This includes all coaches, medical staff, translators, media, family members and friends who want VIP credentials.
Registration will take place during the day on May 29-30, 2015. Please review the ISA’s registration requirements.
Submit to ISA at least 30 days prior to the event:
- Complete list of names of all participants. ISA has requested this information no later than 30 April 2015.
- Requested Event Registration Appointment date and time.
- Travel & Accommodation Information.
- Athlete Bios to be used for media purposes.
- Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) forms. These forms may be submitted via email or fax to the ISA HQ and are requested at least 30 days in advance of the contest.
- ISA Indemnity Form for each registered team member AND ALL REGISTERED PARTICIPANTS.
- Code of Conduct - forms must be completed and signed.
- List of team email addresses
Submit to ISA during on-site Registration, (May 29-30, 2015):
- Passports - All athletes’ nationality and ages must be confirmed. Actual passport and clear copies of passports must be provided at time of registration.
- Sand – 2.5 liters of dry sand from the beaches of your country for the Sands of the World Ceremony. Label the sand container with country and beach name.
- National Flag
- ISA Competitor Stickers and National Flag Stickers – The ISA requires all athletes to place the mandatory ISA Competitor and National Flag stickers on the top 1/3 of their board (front and back) prior to entering the water for their heats. ISA Competitor stickers will be distributed by the Beach Marshalls, and athletes are required to bring their own National Flag stickers to the event.
- Photos of each athlete – To be taken during Registration and used for online media purposes
Athlete Attendance at Registration
All team athletes must be present at time of registration for personal verification of their identity by ISA officials. It is the Team Manager’s responsibility to ensure athletes are present during registration. Please arrange accordingly, since athletes not present will not be registered and will not be allowed participation in the competition. There shall be no exception to this requirement of physical attendance of competitors during registration of the team.
A nation will not be allowed to compete if it has any outstanding dues payable to the ISA. Contact ISA Finance and Administration Manager, Claudia Alvarez, at email@example.com to verify outstanding account balances.
- For Credit Card payments, pay through the ISA website, www.isasurf.org - “ISA Event Registration Fee”.
- For Onsite payment, the ISA will only accept US Dollars.
- For Wire transfers, please contact the ISA for details.
ISA CHINA CUP QUALIFICATION
The top placing 7 National Teams from the 2015 ISA World Surfing Games will be invited to compete at the 2016 ISA China Cup.
The ISA will ONLY accept a valid passport from the country the athlete is representing as proof of nationality for participation in World Championship events. The only exception is for National Identification cards issued by the National Government of the team country that clearly shows “Nationality or Citizenship.” Note: Such a card showing place of birth but not Nationality or Citizenship of the athlete will not be accepted, as place of birth does not provide automatic citizenship in many countries.
The ISA will not accept any other form of government documentation supporting a passport or eligibility of passport to verify nationality. This policy has been updated in the ISA rulebook.
Once a competitor has surfed for a country in any ISA event, he/she generally may not surf for another country at future ISA sanctioned International Events. If an athlete is allowed to represent a second nation based on the conditions set forth in Paragraph b of By-Laws to rule outlined below, he/she may not change back to representing his/her original country. Special exemptions may be considered, however, after presentation to the Executive Committee at least three (3) months prior to the start of any ISA sanctioned event. Requests for exemption will only be considered if received in writing through the affiliated NGB to the Executive Committee via the ISA office, with certified copies of all relevant documentation (passport, letters from/to National Sports Organizations or Home Affairs Offices, etc) accompanying the representation. *Please see the ISA rulebook for By-Laws.
Drug Testing will follow the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) guidelines and will be conducted on or around the final day of competition. All finalists plus three (3) random tests will be conducted. To check on the updated list of banned substances, go to the WADA website www.wada-ama.org.
If an athlete is required to take medication to treat an illness or condition which happens to fall under the Prohibited List, a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) may give that athlete the authorization to take the needed medicine. Please contact the ISA to submit all TUEs at least 30 days prior to the start of the competition.
Passports & Visas
Please check with your travel agent or your Foreign Affairs Department for requirements.
Please contact your Foreign affairs department for further information.
The ISA strongly recommends that each team procures travel insurance (including, but not limited to accident, liability and medical) for all of their participants.
The 2015 ISA World Surfing Games will be held at Popoyo Reef in Southern Nicaragua, about an hours drive from the town of Rivas. Southern Nicaragua is prone to have offshore winds all day long, 300+ days a year. Popoyo is a flat rock reef break with both lefts and rights, although the left is usually a longer ride. It is one of the most popular waves in Nicaragua. On a good South-West swell there can be barrel sections near the take-off. Popoyo breaks on almost all tides, although it is best around mid tide.
CLICK HERE for the Surfline Surf Report and Live Camera of Popoyo.
The most consistent and best surf comes from the South Swells that tend to run from May through November.
Air temperatures along the coast do not change much throughout the year; they are generally around 75-90 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit during the night. Nicaragua has a very humid climate.
The currency in Nicaragua is the Nicaraguan Cordoba. CLICK HERE for current exchange rates.
More Information Coming Soon!
More Information Coming Soon!
The media exposure this contest can provide you, your NGB and your athletes is absolutely priceless. Please submit a list of key media contacts in your region to the ISA so that they may receive ISA press releases. We also ask that you forward local media coverage before and after the event to the ISA so we may use it to promote surfing worldwide. Please contact Carlos Escaba at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU IN NICARAGUA!
ISA WORLD SURFING GAMES CONTEST FORMAT
192+ Athletes and Officials
- 6 athletes per team + 1 coach
- 4 Open Men
- 2 Open Women
1 Gold Medal National Team
*More countries may be added if 32 full teams are not registered.